Islington Mill, Salford

A former cotton mill, built in 1823 for cotton spinning. It was bought by Bill Campbell in 1994, and gradually converted into 50 artists' studios, 2 gallery spaces, a recording studio, club space, B&B and home.

I decided to make a last ditch attempt to continue the regeneration project I had hoped to pursue for the MA, by visiting a venue that was well-managed and had become a success already. The work on the building is ongoing, but Islington Mill is already well known for its creative approach to regenerating part of Manchester's history.

I enjoyed the shoot, but realised that in this building there would not be enough to sustain my project; studios were rows of closed doors that I was reluctant to open, and the remaining spaces were static in terms of regeneration work.







A site specific installation by Susie McMurray on the left, celebrating 10 years since the opening of Islington Mill. 80kg of white feathers spread across the attic space of the building, creating a surreal visual effect. On the right is Diego Mallo, artist in residence during my visit.



studio spaces leading off a corridor